Net Zero: Making Silverbean Green
What is Net Zero?
Put simply, Net Zero refers to the balance between the amount of greenhouse gas (GHG) that’s produced and the amount that’s removed from the atmosphere. It can be achieved through a combination of emission reduction and emission removal.
Net Zero is not the same as Carbon Neutral. Net Zero places much more focus on reducing carbon emissions as much as possible first, and only offsetting unavoidable, residual CO2 as a last resort.
That’s why we’ve developed a Carbon Management Plan so we can work towards reducing our carbon as much as possible, in addition to our contributions to tree planting and conservation.
What are we working on?
As part of our carbon management plan, we’re actively working on and are committed to the following projects;
- In partnership with Positive Planet, we measure and review our carbon footprint year on year.
- Through working with our landlord for our main Newcastle HQ, we have removed the gas lines and switched to electric heating – and in December 2023 we installed solar panels, which should drastically bring down our emissions.
- We’ve provided carbon literacy training to our employees.
- In partnership with Green The UK, we’ve pledged to plant 1000 trees across the UK this year, to contribute to the removal of our emissions.
- We’re due to roll out a new sustainable travel policy to our employees to provide guidance on how to keep their emissions down while travelling.
- We’re committed to surveying our top 5 suppliers by spend, to encourage them to align with our sustainability goals.
- We’re actively looking at electric vehicle loans as an employee benefit to encourage greener travel.
We all have a part to play in fighting climate change by reducing our greenhouse gas emissions and educating our teams on sustainable living. Our Carbon Management Plan outlines the actions we’re going to take to reduce our negative impacts and increase our positive impacts.
As a global business, we’re committed to tackling environmental issues such as climate change and a loss of biodiversity on a global scale, and we want to lead by example for our employees, clients and external stakeholders.
To find out more about the great work we’re doing at Silverbean, discover how we achieved the Good Work Pledge Advanced Status.